The name Carn Galver means rockpile at the lookout place. There is a small pumping and a whim engine house on the St Just – St Ives coastal road. The mine was worked until 1878. It was restored twenty ago by the National Trust.
The Humphry Millet Grylls Monument is the imposing Victorian Gothic structure which stands majestically at the bottom of Coinagehall Street and the entrance to the Helston Bowling Green.
Tintagel is the natural centre from which all things in connection with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table should radiate. King Arthur is a worldwide asset and it is fitting that at Tintagel, his birth place.
Apart from the appeal of its architecture, notably a remarkable plaster ceiling, and the glorious views across its ancient deer park to the distant outlines of Brown Willy and Roughtor on Bodmin Moor.
Saltash is a town and civil parish in southeast Cornwall, England, UK. It has a population of 14,964, which rose to 16,184 at the 2011 census. It was in the Caradon district until March 2009 and is known as “the Gateway to Cornwall”.
This beautifully preserved building is one of Cornwall’s gems from the 19th-century. The Shire Hall was built in 1838 and shows an imposing granite frontage typical of the period.
There has been a Church on this site for over 1,000 years, the present one was built between 1425 and 1530. In the Church a board cataloguing the past vicars lists them from 1266 to the present day.
This old building is of great historical and architectural importance. In the middle ages it was customary for Markets and Fairs to be held in Churchyards, but in the reign of Edward III a Law was passed to prohibit such activities.
Up a winding country lane east of Boscastle lies the scattered hamlet of Lesnewth, a place of atmospheric woodland and and mossy banks. Tucked in a hollow below the lane is the 12th century church of St Michael & All Angels.
Altarnon Parish Church – the Church of St. Nonna – is known as ”the Cathedral of the moors.” St. Nonna was the mother of St. David and left her native Wales around the year 527.
St. Breward lies on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor, north of the A30 and east of St. Tudy and the Atlantic Highway. There are several versions of how St. Breward got its name – a not uncommon situation in Cornwall.
The Cornish village of Tintagel is famed for the romantic ruins of Tintagel Castle, but there is another historic site in the village that deserves attention. The Old Post Office is a traditional 14th-century house built for farmer.