Perranporth to St Agnes Clifftop Walk

Perranporth to St Agnes Clifftop Walk

Head for Droskyn Point on the west side of Perranporth and walk westwards through the first area of mining taking a look back at the cliffs below Droskyn, this area was once famous for smugglers.

Approaching Shag Rock there are views of Perran Beach before entering the the heavily mined ‘Cligga Head’.  Walking towards Cligga it is possible to enjoy the feeling of remoteness, passing under high cliffs above and vertical cliffs below.  This path was once well used by miners to access the mine adits still visible in the cliff side.

In the quarry at Cligga note the black vertical lines in the greisenised granite which are rich in minerals. Exiting the quarry, look down into Hanover Cove where the ‘Hanover’ lies, wrecked in 1763 and reputed to have gone down with valuable cargo, it is now buried well beneath the sand.

Having rounded Hanover Cover, take a look back at the cliffs below Cligga dotted with mine adits and stained in colour due to the mineral rich geology. The path continues alongside an airfield which was used during the war and passes through the old aircraft shelters which are still evident.

The path drops steeply into Trevellas Porth situated at the bottom of a once heavily mined valley. The steep track out of this valley is know a ‘Blue Hills’ and famous for its annual motor trails event, meant to test both man and machine.  The path runs alongside and is quite a climb even on foot!

At the top of the cliffs the village of St Agnes with its numerous mine engine house chimneys lies ahead. The ore from these mines was once taken to the Trevaunance Cove harbour for export but all that remains of the harbour are the sea demolished granite blocks at the foot of the cliffs.